The Aleksotas Jewish Cemetery
Officially opened under Soviet rule after World War II, this is the currently active Jewish cemetery of Kovna. Some of the graves have been transferred here from the older cemeteries which were destroyed or laid neglected. Notice that the writing on some of the gravestones is engraved on the back. This is because the original engravings had deteriorated and as part of a renovation project, the names of the deceased were rewritten on the backs of the stones.
Tomb of Rabbi Yitzchok Elchanan Spektor
Grave of Rabbi Avraham Duber Kahana Shapiro – The last chief rabbi of Kovna
Rumsiskes (Rumshishkes) is a small town east of Kovna. Before WWII, some 50 Jewish families lived here.
Virtually all the Jews of Rumsiskes were murdered by the Nazis and their Lithuanian allies. The able-bodied Jewish men were shipped off to the Pravenishok forced labor camp and died there. Most of the women, children and the elderly men were shot and buried in mass graves in Rumsiskes.
In the 1950’s, the Kovna municipality decided to build a hydroelectric power station in Kaunas and as a result flooded the area of the Jewish cemetery. The graves, including those of the Holocaust victims, were moved to the Kovna cemetery. This memorial was erected in remembrance of the Rumsiskes victims.
Here lie the deceased from the cemetery of Rumshishkes and the holy martyrs of the Rumshishkes community who were killed by the fascist murderers in the year 1501 (5/7/1941) and their bones were brought here in the year 5718 (1958)